About City Year
City Year was founded in 1988 on the belief that young people can change the world. City Year is an education focused, nonprofit organization that unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service aimed at keeping students in school and on track to graduation. At City Year’s 28 urban locations across the United States and two international affiliates, teams of trained young people called AmeriCorps members serve full-time in schools during the academic year as tutors, mentors and role models. By focusing on attendance, behavior and course performance, which identify students who are at risk of not graduating on time, AmeriCorps members are uniquely positioned to help students and schools succeed.
What You’ll Do
Your service will focus on helping students get and/or remain on track to graduate by providing academic support, delivering behavior and attendance coaching and encouraging student engagement to promote a positive school climate. Beginning each day before the first school bell rings and staying until the last child leaves the after-school program; you’ll serve students, schools and communities through:
· Academic Support: Planning tutoring sessions and providing one-on-one or small group literacy and/or math tutoring before, during and after school; partnering with teachers and school staff to create and facilitate academic events and learning activities; regularly document students’ academic progress
· Attendance and Positive Behavior Encouragement: Leading energetic morning greetings, making attendance and positive phone calls to home, facilitating small group and one-to-one social-emotional skills development programs
· Community and School Improvements: Organizing and leading activities, celebrations and projects to improve the community and school environment.
Team-based service is at the heart of City Year. You will be assigned to a diverse team of 8-15 young adults and you will serve with that team for the duration of the year.
Benefits You’ll Receive
· Bi-weekly living stipend
· $5,815 post service education award
· Health insurance
· Loan forbearance on qualifying student loans
· Uniform provided by ARAMARK
· Eligibility for exclusive scholarships to over 100 colleges and universities
· Networking sessions and professional development
· Leadership development training
City Year AmeriCorps members are as diverse a group as the communities they serve. We’re looking for you if you want to give back and are ready to change the world. Applicants must:
· Be between the ages of 18 and 25
· Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident; Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient
· Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time
· Have a high school diploma, GED, some college, or a college degree
· Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program
· Agree to and pass a criminal background check
Previous experience with service, tutoring, mentoring or leadership strengthens candidacy but is not required.
How to Apply
Visit https://joincityyear.force.com and submit your completed online application. For more information on how to apply, visit: https://www.cityyear.org/join-the-corps/how-to-apply
City Year is available to all, without regard to race, color, origin, gender, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, or religion.
|Causes||Children & Youth Community|
1 Person | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours